GRADE 10 LANGUAGE ARTS
UNIT 1: THE DEAD
- How is death and dying experienced and represented in literature in cultures around the world?
- How do people react to and cope with the threat of and the event of death through writing and speaking?
By the end of this unit, you should...
- understand how tone interacts with content to create meaning, and will be able to describe the tone of a piece of writing or speaking.
- understand a variety of writing and speaking techniques and devices that can allow you to purposefully control the tone of your communications.
- understand that creating and analyzing any text requires consideration of the rhetorical situation, and you will be able to apply the SOAPS model to describe the rhetorical situations of various texts.
- differentiate between the meaning and the function of a text / part of a text.
- understand that texts can communicate on multiple levels (literal, metaphorical, referential) simultaneously.